12 Stylish Ways To Replace Single Use Plastics
Oh the plastic water bottle… what a convenient product. After you’re done with it you simply, throw it away; out of sight out of mind right?
The problem with this mentality is that our convenience is marine life’s destruction. Straws pierced through sea turtles’ noses, fish and birds suffocating in plastic grocery bags, baby seals strangled in plastic rings… a horrific sight but a reality considering our plastic consumption is the main ingredient in their demise.
Here are the facts: an average American disposes approximately 185 pounds of plastic per year. In 2017 alone, Americans used around 50 million plastic water bottle; reminder, this is just ONE country. No wonder there’s a floating trash island in the Pacific Ocean.
So although a disposable straw is too easy when getting your morning latte, NTCH has put together a simple list of ideas and products that make zero waste look fab!
1. Bring your own cutlery to places!
PackageFree has a simple, natural and lightweight utensil kit and other zero waste kits that are perfect if you’re just starting to adopt a #noplastic lifestyle.
2. Metal straws instead of asking for disposable straws in your daily latte.
3. Invest in reusable water bottles instead of disposable plastic bottles.
Memo Bottle, its slim design allows it to fit in compact spaces such as your purse. This brand also gives back to the community by providing people access to clean water.
The S’well bottle is not just efficient, it also comes in a variety of patterns and colors to fit your style.
Hydro Flask, all sizes, for all temperatures in cool colors. There’s a style for anything: food, coffee, beer, wine, spirits and water (duh!).
In the Kitchen
4. Invest in reusable shopping and produce bags instead of promoting the use of plastic bags.
One of our favorites, Ever Eco , makes stylish cotton mesh bags that are super roomy but can be rolled up to save space. Their produce bags are also made from recycled plastic bottles and come with a pouch to make storing easier.
5. Cloth towel instead of paper towels
6. Glass Containers… can get these anywhere
7. Reusable bags and Sandwich wrappers instead of ziplock bags
8. Eco-Friendly and Biodegradable napkins
Replace the antiquated kitchen room with Bambaw’s Reusable Paper Towels!.
In the bathroom
9. Bamboo toothbrush- made from, you guessed it, BAMBOO which is 100% biodegradable
The Humble Co. Toothbrush, toothpastes and cotton buds- yay for responsible hygiene!
Sasa Collective - More stylish toothbrushes.
10. Reusable make up removers instead of the single use cotton pads.
FaceHalo. Recyclable and non-toxic beauty products, no more cotton and micro plastic waste.
Province Apothecary- great brand not just for reusable face clothes but a variety of natural and holistic products as well!
Little Green Wood. Organic cotton wipes that come in stylish colors and patterns.
11. Reusable Razors - bamboo handles and metal blades that will last years.
Bambaw. Razors, cotton buds, toothbrushes, cutlery sets… you name it, everything bamboo!
Leaf. Stylish reusable razors in a variety of colors!
12. Sustainable cotton buds. Sorry Q-Tips, there’s just too much plastic to continue using you. Also a Bambaw product, these cotton swabs are made with organic cotton and bamboo which makes them compostable and biodegradable